Fit Friday is a weekly segment in which I bring you a short but effective workouts which can be completed by EVERYbody.
You can be healthy at every size, and once you discover workouts which you actually enjoy you can not only unleash your inner athlete, you can live a healthy, passionate and purposeful life!
I set myself a goal to use my gym training to complete 10 full push ups and 1 unassisted pull up…
So far in 2017 I’ve learnt a few things:
- I cannot do this by myself, honestly I spend my days coaching therefore have very little energy left to program for myself…I need a coach…
- To improve my push ups and pull ups I need to actually perform these exercises plus other upper body movements
- I really hate training upper body!!!!
Okay, so I’ve got a few things to work on but when my friend and fellow coach Hilary Glaus shared a short IG Story of her client using a resistance band to complete full push-ups I was like “SHUT the front door!”.
Does this really make it any easier?!?
In this video you’ll see my first attempt, and OH MY – I couldn’t believe how much easier it was. It’s still hard, but I can actually complete more than 1 repetition. **happy dance**
- A resistance band – ensure that it’s strong enough to help you complete the push-ups [I used a ‘heavy’ one]
- Something solid/sturdy to tie the band to, I was in the gym and used the racking which houses ropes, TRX etc.
To practice I completed as many reps as possible on my toes, and then I drop to my knees and complete as many reps as possible here. REST for 60 seconds. Repeat 3-4 rounds.
Go forth and conquer your push-up goals!!